There’s been a lot of buzz in the real estate industry recently, since in early August, after Facebook rolled out their first ad product specifically for real estate: Facebook Dynamic Ads for Real Estate.
Since then, real estate agents have been wondering how they can get on board and deliver their listings using Facebook’s highly visible and closely targeted ad platform. Well wonder no longer…
I recently started work on a plugin to extend Agent Evolution’s IMPress Listings plugin for WordPress – which allows agents to easily add their listings to their website and even automatically import their listings (IDX Broker account required) – and this plugin will help with the first step to advertising on Facebook.
Facebook Dynamic Ads for Real Estate WordPress plugin
The plugin is currently available on Github and soon coming to the wordpress.org plugin repository.
As mentioned, this plugin is just the first step in advertising real estate on Facebook. As outlined in the developer documentation provided by Facebook, there are five “High-Level Steps” required:
- Set up your Home Listing Catalog
- Build your Audience for Real Estate
- Create and deliver ads for your home listings
- Get delivery information to see how people on Facebook are engaging in you ads, see Ads Insights
- Use debugging tools to diagnose and resolve problems. See Dynamic Ads Debugging Tools.
This plugin will create the XML feed of your listings to create the Home Listing Catalog. The listings are output with the requisite markup, meta tags, and attributes from your listings. Note: If your listings do not contain data for the required fields, they will not be in the XML feed.
After installing the plugin, your listing catalog feed will be available at yourdomain.com/feed/fb-catalog
The plugin currently supports two additional parameters to the feed URL:
- numposts – The number of listings to show in the feed
Will output XML feed showing 20 most recent listings (WordPress default for feeds is 10)
- location – The “Location” taxonomy term to display
Will output XML feed only showing listings with “My Neighborhood” set as the Location taxonomy term
This plugin is still in alpha stage and this is current extent of the plugin functionality. Plans for future updates:
Add settings for Facebook Pixel ID, Access token, etc.– Added in 1.1.0
- Add integration with Facebook Marketing API to create the listing catalog in Business Manager
- Add additional URL parameters to get the specific listings you want for your listings catalog(s) (i.e. additional taxonomy queries, such as status)
Add additional meta fields to listings to define fields Facebook understands (i.e. “Availability” as opposed to current user-defined Status taxonomy)– Added in 1.1.0
- Additional features to Setup User Signals and Build Audiences
Stay tuned for more of these exciting updates!
If you’re a real estate agent and are looking to set up your own Facebook dynamic ads for real estate, contact me for a consultation.
UPDATE: The plugin is now live on wordpress.org: FB Dynamic Ads for Real Estate